Sunday, April 6, 2008

Me being academic about unbridled lusts

Where better to find information on how to tie headscarves than in the religious traditions? All of the “people of the book” (Muslims, Jews, and early Christians) insisted on head coverings for decent females.
I started with Islam. When I was at the American University of Beirut in the ’60’s the only women who went veiled were from the countryside or Kuwait, though one Iranian friend admitted that during summer vacation she had to wear a chador covering her entire body. “But,” she added, “It gets really hot in Tehran, so I always just wear my bikini under it.”
I’m amazed at the number of Muslim women in the past twenty years who have embraced various forms of veiling. While I briefly considered the effect on Cheshire County if I suddenly appeared in a chador or a burka, it was really the hijab, the headscarf, that I thought might cover my bald head with a bit of elegance and comfort.
When I googled “hijab,” though, instead of styles, I found myself looking for answers to the question of why anyone with a full head of hair would want to cover it. I know why I want to cover my head. Not-quite-spring in New Hampshire is cold! This is not the case in large parts of the Muslim world.
Most of the Islamic reasons for head coverings came from Surah XXXIII, Verse 59 of the Qur'an: "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close around them. That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed...." (from A.Yusef Ali's translation of the Qur'an; other versions translate the original Arabic as "veils" where Ali uses "cloaks").”
http://english.emory.edu/Bahri/Veil.html . I paused to note that there was no suggestion that the men should simply behave themselves and not annoy the women.

After a couple of sites on snoods and tichels, I went on to briefly check out Jewish law on headcoverings.
The Talmud in Kesuvos 72a states that the source for this prohibition [covering the hair] is from BaMidbar (Numbers) 5:18 which deals with the laws of a sotah - a suspected adulteress - and states, "The priest shall stand the woman before God and uncover her hair...". Rash'i (Rabbi Shlomo Yitchaki, 1040-1105, author of the primary commentary on the Talmud) provides two explanations for the Talmud's conclusion, one, that from the fact that she is punished … for exposing her hair to her paramour we see that this is prohibited and, two, from the fact that we expose her hair we see that under normal conditions a Jewish woman's hair should be covered.”
http://members.aol.com/LazerA/headcovering.htm

The reasoning seems circular and left me wondering if the adulteress would have been okay if she’d exposed everything else to her paramour while leaving her hair decently covered.
A bit of clarity came from
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/daily_life/TheBody/Clothing/Headcoverings.htm
In Jewish tradition, and even in very old linguistic usage, "an uncovered head" means unbridled license.”

That’s it! My goosebumpy scalp is going to lead someone to unbridled license. Or maybe not. The first quote clearly talks about hair, not just head.

A Christian site
http://www.achristianhome.org/ModestFeminine/ModestyFeminineAttireIndex.htm made the whole subject clearer, with a page titled Are men lusting after your wife or daughter? The article states that “Men have to look at women, and if they are dressed immodestly it is a tremendous battle not to lust after them.” Modest dress, the author explained, would prevent this calamity; but also, I noted, here were more men with self-control issues.

It all comes together. Islam, Judaism and Fundamentalist Christianity all agree that there is shame before God or man (or both) for a woman to uncover her hair. It leads to all kinds of frenzies of lust, though there isn’t complete agreement as to who will fall into these frenzies. The Christians are sure, and the Muslims seem to think that it is the men who will be unable to control themselves (and will “annoy” the women), while the Talmud leaves it unclear whose unbridled license results from the uncovered hair.
But what about women without hair?
Christian sites and the Muslim one quoted I Corinthians 11:

But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God…. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoreth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn or shaven; but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

Well, I’m not sure about the praying, but I have no plans to prophesy. The last part suggests that it’s an either/or proposition. Since it’s no shame for me to be shorn or shaven, I don’t have to be covered?
But what about those hordes of men who are going to fight that tremendous battle not to lust after me? Not to mention the cold weather. It’s back to the internet to find more ways to tie my scarves. And this time I won’t get sidetracked.


3 comments:

Arctic-mermaid said...

I say "Let them lust!"

From Jurate (it may say arctic-mermaid from now on)

Ps. I do wear a hat most of the time, so this could explain why I'm not getting any dates!

Blue Spruce said...

In Christianity no one wears hats to church any more. People may have thought that the Creator prefers formal wear because of the penguins, but that only applies in the antarctic. In my opinion there is nothing in Christianity that is adverse to nudism. Otherwise why would there be so many naked animals?
Lewdness is very subjective. I think it is a fun word from a literary perspective. Here are some quotes that spring to mind.
"A lewd vegetarian."
"Lewdness doth walk about the orb like the sun; it shines everywhere."
"Lewdness to leave is better late than never." (which I believe is from the Theatrum Chemicum Brittanicum).
"Lewdness came into existence with your birth, and you have been its primary defining factor ever since. My hat, sir, is off to you." (a quote which I found on the internet).

Bobbie said...

Became distracted by all your links so had to click on several. Does that mean I'm ADHD? curious? Or just getting old.
Gang at the Y misses you. Will do an extra set for you and wipe the machines thoroughly so they'll be clean for your next visit.