Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Catch-up Week Continues

At the DMV: As I stood in the long line (everyone has May birthdays) I practiced saying "Do you make an exception for the bald?"
The female Volgon at the desk must have the most boring job on earth. "Next!... Look into the machine and read line 5.... Stand against the wall.... Smile.... Next!" in a mechanical bark.
Finally it was my turn. We got up through "stand against the wall" and she gestured at my scarf, at which point I had an attack of chemo brain and couldn't remember the word 'exception.' I just stared at her. In a completely different voice she said, "Do you have any hair at all?" I shook my head, and she said gently, "It's okay. Go ahead," took my picture, and then, without missing a beat, she barked, "Next!"
So I'm wearing a scarf on my license.

At the orthopedic doctor's (appointment changed from Friday to Tuesday):
The first doctor had called my foot "deranged." The new one explained, "Think of it as an Adult Onset Clubfoot." These guys have a way with words. However, they're also the only doctors at DH-Keene who routinely give me hugs. The other departments could learn from them.

At the vet's:
Yeltsi is healthy, and maybe she yowls at night because of elimination issues, or maybe it's kitty senility. Jerry has the job of disecting her poops to see if she's passing uncomfortable hairballs. Meanwhile, in revenge or for some reason known only to cats, Yeltsi yowled all last night. She's asleep now, resting up.

The well? Apparently all taken care of. Cushing and Sons appeared yesterday, worked on the line between well and house, and the pump has been quiet ever since.

Actually, I'm really enjoying this week of normal hassles.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

And we thought the DMV staff were uncaring aliens from Mars..we stand corrected!

How do we get her transferred to the Boston office?

Arctic-mermaid said...

Maybe the cat is protesting its name???? What were you guys thinking???? One burp too many and it's Yeltsin. Whoa. Not one of the world's greatest leaders, as I recall.

Here's a geologist's solution. Keep little Yeltsi working all day. Don't let her sleep at all during the day. Ba-da-boom, ba-da-bing. night time comes and she will pass out like the inebriated comrade.

Yes?

Blue Spruce said...

I think you meant to say Vogon, not Voglon. One famous person with a deranged foot was Crazylegs Hirsch. I think they made a movie of his exploits both on and off the gridiron. Other notables with peculiar pedastals include Footsie Blair and the Barefoot Contessa, not to mention the biblical idol which was made of gold, but its feet were made of clay.