Friday, May 2, 2008

Life goes on -- Jerry's at it again



I've been struggling with a minor blog question today: what do I do for this week when (I truly hope) there won't be much cancer news to share. I don't want to lose the momentum of writing regularly, but some people have told me that they check in just to make sure I'm well.
So I'm well, barring the usual stuff, the latest of which is that my stubble is now falling out, which means that the Taxotere is doing its job (Go, Taxotere. Get all those fast-growing cells. Zap 'em.)
If you want, you have my permission to go away and come back maybe on the 8th or the 12th when I'll have more cancer news.
But in the mean time, Jerry hasn't had a house project going for some time, and the itch got too much for him. The first picture is of our bedroom at 9:00 am today. The second is what it looked like at 3:30 this afternoon. If you look really carefully you can see one of the cats in the second picture.
We have a family story about our first house and my horrified reaction as Jerry walked through with a sledge hammer and started on the wall of the living room. He said defensively, "I told you I didn't like that arch."
Yesterday, in far less time than it would have taken him to buy a pair of shoes, he bought the new carpet and we negotiated the new curtains and chose the color scheme. Today he stripped the bedroom and took up the old carpet.
It feels so good to have him working on a project around the house. This is what life is supposed to be like.

6 comments:

Rob K said...

Funny - I guess our conversation made the itch stronger. Hopefully he won't move the stairs again...and again...

Arctic-mermaid said...

I'm so glad you could co-ordinate your upcoming lack of news with my plans to head to my cottage for the next three days. Thank you. For a cancer patient, you are mighty accomodating. A gold star to you! (I'm having some fun here)

Wow, the urge really struck him didn't it. Do you have somewhere to sleep tonight???? Poor darlings. Out on the street and all. tsk tsk.........

So following you radvice, I'll check back in a few days. In the meantime get better, eh? Hugs,

Blue Spruce said...

It's wonderful how Jerry took that unattractive room with a bare floor and walls and turned it into a beautiful living area with bed, matching dresser, mirror, shelves and decor. Great work!

jenny said...

that cracked me up because that is so my mom! it must be in the germer genes to get a bee in their bonnet and just go for it. i must say, i have a bit of that in me too. sure love you, glad all is well.

Miriam said...

Well, you know that walls were never meant to be permanent either......
Wait a minute now...Do I see another workroom coming? Who needs a bed anyway?

Miriam

grandma B said...

Yes, I think Jenny is right on when she said the Germer's must have a gene that on occasion goes beserk and can only be quieted by a few good blows with a hammer! I am excited to see the results. Your projects are always imaginative,resourceful and fun!
Your week with your family sounded wonderful Lucie.
It would be so nice to see your grownup children and little Miles. I am sure he is brilliant. Hey , look at his genes!
Emily,Tosh, Vicki and new baby Stella came up for Sunday dinner today. It was so delightful! We all were captivated by two week old Stella-bella. What a charmer!
Our thoughts are with you and Jerry. Don't let him get away with any bogus words in your games of scrabble!