Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Me, whining

Yesterday was discouraging. First of all, when I went in for the chemo, after the radiation, it turned out that my platelets are low. The nurse had to fax the oncologist, who works in Brattleboro on Tuesdays, to find out if she could go ahead and give me the gencitabine, and he faxed back that she couldn't. So after spending as much time as I would have if I'd gotten the chemo, I came home. This isn't anything to worry about, by the way; I'd been warned that glitches like this happen as a matter of course during chemotherapy. The whole thing is a balancing act, and I just need rebalancing. However, that doesn't make me feel better about the situation.
I asked the nurse if there was anything I could do or take to bring the platelets up, but it turns out there isn't. I asked if this counted as do-it-yourself hemophilia, and she got rather technical on the differences. Her only advice was to go home and rest and try not to cut myself. So I did, feeling rather as though I'd failed Platelets 101.

Then I called the Orthopedics people about my brace, which after many adjustments still doesn't work. They decided that they should send the brace to the home office for major adjusting, which means that I'll be without it for about two weeks. Unfortunately, the pain of wearing the brace is nothing compared to the pain of not wearing it.
I just wrote and deleted several whimpery sentences about how unfair life is. But we knew that.

4 comments:

jenny said...

write all the whimpery sentences you want. you deserve to. we keep you in our prayers. sure love you. also, thanks for posting that memorial day picture. it gave me a nostalgic moment. i'm not sure i was around that memorial day. however, it reminded me of all the ones i was there for. i miss that family time. and you're right, the guys haven't changed a bit!

amy germer said...

You are only human so go ahead and whine! I do it all the time and I don't have any reason to do it. You are so strong and I want to be like you when I grow up.

amy germer said...

Edit to my post- Jerry on guitar and ray on harmonica.

grandma B said...

I bet that day felt like "All dressed up and no where to go!" I hate that too! Patience is a virtue and I am afraid the learning of it is down right aggravating. You are an amazing example of patience Lucie.
I loved the Memorial Day photograph . Good times were had by all. Music is such a great 'binder'. All those Memorial Day memories are bound up with music , laughter and best of all family. Thanks for sharing .