Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Don't read if you aren't interested in yucky side effects

I've been doing some redecorating lately. It consists of basins tastefully scattered around the house. I'm not quite Martha Stewart: the basins are not color-coordinated. Of course, if I were really Martha Stewart, the contents would be color-coordinated. You can carry that as far as you want, but I'm not going to.
The only other bit of redecorating is on the part of the cats. They have been taking very good care of me, making sure that I'm not alone. On Sunday, my worst day so far, one cat or the other was lying next to me all day. That's as far as I remember, because aside from the nausea/vomiting, the other major side effect is that I sleep. And sleep. And sleep. You know how sleep is personified as a seductress, wooing you into soft dozing? Well, this is more like a rapist pouncing on you and suddenly it's two hours later and you aren't quite sure where or why you are.
According to the oncologist, this is normal, and I've done amazingly well so far. He prescribed a second anti-nausea med which can be taken in conjunction with the first one if I need a real whammy. One can be taken every six hours, the other every four. Those of us with compromised synapses shouldn't have to try and figure out the math. Let's see, if I took the six-hour pill at 1:45, and the four-hour pill at 11:10, and it is now 3:30, I'm okay for the four-hour pill again? Or was it 1:10 that I took the four-hour pill? And do I count the one I barfed up?
Apparently all of this is expected because all of the treatments have been cuumulative in their effects, so even though I'm through with the treatments themselves, the malady lingers on. Sorry.
In any case, the oncologist assures me that it may take a week or two, but I should be feeling a lot better very soon. I'm looking forward to that (so is Jerry, who continues to be tower of strength, reality check, and total support and joy in my life).

3 comments:

jenny said...

i'm so sorry lucie. i'm so glad you have a good hubby (and loyal cats) to get you through this. i took an anti nausea med when i was pregnant that they told me they gave to cancer patients. it was called zofran. is that one of the ones you are taking? i think i threw it up about every other time i took it. i wanted it to work better than in actually did. so much for those being the miracle drug. hang in there, you are one strong cookie. we love you.

Arctic-mermaid said...

I'm with Jenny. You're so strong and doing so well. And Jerry, you Chief Basin Washer - what a guy, indeed! Keep positive and know that you are almost out of the nausea phase.
Excellent. just try not to barf on the cats. They may not be so friendly afterwards.

grandma B said...

Gosh, I wish I knew of some great tea or aroma therapy or SOMETHING to help with the nausea Lucie.
I am sure you and Jerry have researched natural cures for nausea. Memories come flooding back when Jenny was so sick for the nine months she was pregnant and trying to get some ice ginger tea down her while she sat in the bath tub. NOT A FUN TIME! We love you Lucie. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Jerry you are awesome...just stay away from permanent markers and Lucies head!