Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Tiny Club

I have two pancreatic cancer buddies, one I just found out about yesterday and the other I've never met. However, they're both good role models, and I'm thankful for them.
The one I haven't met actually has cancer of the bile duct, which is what I may or may not actually have (the oncologists decided that since my pancreas is also affected they might as well call it pancreatic). He lives in Canada, and is being treated in Vancouver. We email back and forth, and though we haven't gotten into any of the deep questions, we've covered the less serious but annoying ones (what do you do about flaking skin? About anti-nausea meds that knock you out?) He's about a week ahead of me in treatment (no surgery planned) and therefore is just finishing up, so the next question he faces is: what do you do when you've done everything for this go-round and now all you have to do is live? I remember from last time around the nerve-wracking feeling that there must be something else I could do to nail this thing down forever. He seems pretty level-headed, so maybe this won't bother him.
The new buddy is someone I've known casually for years. She's a musician who lives in Keene and who, coincidentally, had breast cancer a while before I did. Like me, she was fully recovered and then got zapped with this. She had surgery in January and is doing really well. I talked to her yesterday, and she couldn't have been more helpful and encouraging.
One of the feelings that I have as I come to the end of this stage in the process is nervousness about the future, so being able to talk with someone who's been there and who's feeling good is a real gift.

No comments: