Friday, June 27, 2008

Simple Pleasures

Last evening Jerry answered the phone and made faces at me that it was our favorite Worthy Cause Person. You know the kind: in the excitement of a political moment you sign a sheet and next thing you know the Worthy Cause Person constantly phones you because she's sure that you'd love to spend your Saturday evenings cold calling Republicans to get them to change their votes.... Anyhow, I could hear her impassioned voice on the other end of the line. Jerry made helpless gestures. I giggled.
Finally he said in a serious voice, "No, I just can't make any plans like that. You see, my wife has cancer.... Thank you.... No, not even that. You know, these days we just take life one day at a time." I waved my arms and legs in the air and let my tongue droop out of the side of my mouth. Somewhat choked up, Jerry said, "But of course we wish you well.... Thank you."
He hung up and said, "I just wish that sometime an insurance agent would call."

2 comments:

amy germer said...

At least you help out his case for not joining the cause. He could have called me to try to sway me and then go onto all your other crazy right wing family members.

Lucinda Kruy said...

My favorite was the time someone cold called Dad to try to convince him to participate in a benefit bowling league. Dad got all serious, and proceeded to tell the poor guy that he had recently lost both his legs in a motorcycle accident. Meanwhile we were all laughing our heads off. I pity the poor telemarketer that ends up with your phone number.