Friday, December 26, 2008

Home

Yesterday noon, just after Jerry and Max joined me for Christmas Dinner at the Hospital (greater love hath no husband and son than to eat overcooked beef and vegetables in a hospital room), I was sprung. The last tubes were pulled out of me, the last instructions given, and we went home to spend the last, and most wonderful, part of Christmas.
The doctor said that my recovery was "amazing." Very fast, very smooth -- exactly what he would have ordered if he could have.
Apparently, there were questions we weren't aware of at the time of surgery, though I vaguely remember the surgeon going over them. They just didn't register. The major one was whether the hole in the duodenum was related to the cancer. If it was, there was no way it could have healed. Its having healed so quickly proved that the perforation was not secondary to the cancer. (No suggestions as to why I got it, except that stress might have had something to do with it. Stress? Me? What do I have to be stressed about?)
The other was whether the cancer had weakened the surrounding tissue to the point that the patch wouldn't hold. But it did.
My thanks to Jerry for keeping the blog going while I was in the hospital, and to all of you for your love and support, which buoys me up and keeps me going.

5 comments:

A-muse said...

Lucie, Welcome Home. I'll bet that sleeping in your own bed was delicious. I am sure that you feel "muzzy" and weak after so many days of no real food and lying there. But it must be fabulous to be back in your environment. It was good to read that the hole is holding and what that means.....YES!!!!! All Love....

Arctic-mermaid said...

Yippee, you're home. So fast. Excellent. We always do better recovering at home in familiar surroundings with puppy breath and kitty cat licks to make us feel better. WIshing you all the best. Oh, and no shovelling. Okay?

it just made my day knowing you're home!

grandma B said...

Home for Christmas! What a wonderful blessing! I am so glad you are not entangled with tubes and can rest in your own beautiful, comfy home with the best nurse ever ( that would be Jerry). WE had the best Christmas ever with Lucie with the entire Brown clan gathered around the hearth. Knowing you are recovering and home is the best Christmas greeting we could have received. We love you! We wish you and Jerry the BEST in the new year to come.

Patricia said...

Hi Lucy and Gerry
My daughter is trying to teach me the blog skills. I am using her account
It is so good to know that you got home for some part of your Christmas Day. So glad also for your rapid recovery from surgery! You are often in our thoughts and prayers
Love
Elizabeth and Gary

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.