Sunday, December 21, 2008

A spa?

(Lucie hand-wrote this one from the hospital, then had Jerry enter it in the blog)

I've never been in a luxury spa, but from what I've read in the ads you see in health-related magazines, they have much in common with a hospital's intensive care unit (ICU). So if the demand slacks in the ICU maybe they should consider converting into a top of the line luxury spa, the quasi-medical type with people in white coats and official-looking machines. Of course, they'd have to change a few things. The personnel would encourage us to do 50 squats instead of stumbling around the nurses' station, schlepping our IV pole behind. They'd have to upgrade the patrons, as well. We're all far too gray and debilitated to fit the stereotypes who hang out in such places.

What they shouldn't change is the staff. You couldn't hope to meet warmer, more competent or flexible people anywhere. Ring the bell and a nurse here. If you don't ring the bell they still come around to see if your ice cup needs refreshing.

I got moved out of the ICU two days ago. In my new digs--a semi-private room--the help doesn't hover quite so intensely, but I still get good care.

How do I feel, aside from being blind-sided by this latest event? Well, for one, I feel this is the best place to be under present conditions. Aside from occasional wooziness and odd pains, I feel I am on a gradual path to recovery. As I look out my window, I'm glad I don't have to go out into the latest winter storm, but thankful that Jerry does.

With no wi-fi access in the hospital, I won't be able to answer your emails until I get back home, and don't yet know when that will be. But keep your thoughts coming. If you don't know my email address, it's the same as Jerry's but with an L, instead of the J (in his). Your emails and responses to the blog help immensely buoy my spirits. Please keep 'em coming.

3 comments:

Arctic-mermaid said...

Atta Girl! Glad to hear you are recovering and writing. Wheeeee. Sure hope you make it home for Christmas - but hey, you are in a very good place right now and we will stream our love and good wishes to you there. Merry Christmas to you and Jerry in case I bust out of here early to head to my camp!

jenny said...

lucie, glad to hear from you. we have been thinking of you so much and i am glad to hear that they are taking good care of you in the hospital. we sure love you and continue to pray for a smooth recovery.

Ev said...

Lucie, I'm impressed you were writing with all the various systems you had in place!
Jerry, you are a wonderful transcriptionist and an all around great guy for trekking through the weather AND keeping the blog up to the minute.
Sending warm vibes your way from VA.