Saturday, October 4, 2008

My Left Foot

I'm feeling so much better; and at the regular oncologist appointment Thursday, Dr. Nickerson said that I was doing really well. My blood is doing what it should; I was able to have the chemo uneventfully and felt well afterwards.

It is really ironic, though, considering what the major health problem is, that I am bothered much more on a day-to-day basis by my left foot. Because of my torn tendon and misshapen toes I'm in pain whenever I stand or walk for any length of time.

I met a born-again Christian nudist once and asked her how she reconciled two such opposite philosophies. She smiled beatifically and said, "God made my body, and He did a marvelous job." Fine, yes, but I tell you, my feet either are a proof a) that Intelligent Design is false, b) that heredity is all random, a mere throw of the dice, or c) that malevolent spirits exist and that they have a nasty sense of humor. Or, as Jerry suggests, I got in the wrong line in Heaven when it came to handing out feet.

I went in to see Dr. Letendre, my orthopedic doctor, yesterday. I pointed out that we've been trying without success to get my present brace to fit since January, so she decided that we'll try a new (and hopefully better) one. I'm excited, mostly because maybe it'll actually work, but also because instead of looking like I'm getting ready to reenact the Battle of Ypres, I'll look more 21st century, and who knows? Maybe it will fit into something besides running shoes. Not that I want Jimmy Choos, but something I could wear with a skirt?
And best of all, Medicare covers it. That's Your Tax Dollars at Work, the bits that aren't bailing out Wall Street. But you'd rather have them go for my brace, wouldn't you?

1 comment:

Arctic-mermaid said...

Yippee on the "feeling much better". And great news about going for another brace. I agree, how "insulting" that you are dealing with pancreatic cancer and it turns out to be the foot that bothers you the most! I'm guessing the waranty's expired? heaven isn't returning your calls? Yeah,go for the new and imporved model. "cuz if I ever come to visit, you just know we're going to go hiking!! All the best.